So after two exhibitions, I still had one and a half hours to kill. So I headed to Undershaft.
To be honest, this was not my idea. I had been watching one of those You-Tube videos called London's hidden spots or something, and it suggested that this was a good photography spot, so I thought why not.
Now I am not a great architecture photographer, but I do find modern buildings fascinating. The Undershaft is basically a group of offices and buildings creating a tight knit group of various sizes and shapes, including the Gerkin and Richard Roger's eponymous Lloyd's building.
The journey was about 20 minutes, dropping us outside the monument for the fire of London, now almost consumed by the tall buildings around it. From there, it was a short walk into the financial district. So we moved from the temple to the old religion to the new one celebrating unbridled finance, dedicated to the gods of power through money.
Behind the tall monoliths of glass and steel, billions of dollars, ponds and yen were being transferred at a click of a button. However outside, despite it being only 3 O'clock on a Thursday, the bars were full of well dressed men and women, who had obviously realized they don't need to work too hard to become, by the gauge of most, rich beyond avarice.
Still, I was here to take pictures, not a start revolution. I started next to St Helen's, a small 14th century church, now dwarfed by the structures around it.
![]() |
| Spot the church... |
My 1st stop was a lamppost that would provide converging lines to the sky along with the other buildings. Unfortunately, access was somewhat limited by a Chauffeur-driven Mercedes for who felt that parking restrictions were for the little people.
I then headed to the Lloyds building. This is image taken by so many people, that it felt passe. However it has to be said however it does provide interesting lines, sort of like an exploded body.
With my head in the clouds I then walked around, stopping to take shots of converging buildings lines. I was lucky with the sky taht day, with the blue sky and white clouds reflecting off the mirrored building glass, amking them merge into the heavens.
![]() |
| The eponymous lamppost |
An hour went by quickly, but on the walk back to the tube I had a few chances to take shots of cyclists.
All in all it was a good day. To go to one exhibition is good. To goto 2 is even better, but to also spend some days with the camera, makes a perfect day.









No comments:
Post a Comment